May 6, 2011

Brilliant artists: ÉDOUARD MANET

Hi class, today we have to write about our favorite artists! Personally, I have a lot of favorite artists; many of them belong to the nineteenth century. This period was very productive in terms of artistic production, because it started a period of transition between strictly academic and avant-garde, as from Impressionism.  One of the founders of this artistic revolution was Édouard Manet, a famous French painter, which -I think- was often misunderstood. His works were considered scandalous because he used unconventional techniques that "offended" to the Academy and the conventions of painting.  One of the most outrageous works he painted was “Olympia” (1863), where the problem is not that Olympia is naked, but how is painted this nude:  with flat color, that is, without chiaroscuro. On the other hand, the woman portrayed is not Olympia, but a prostitute who looks directly at the audience, as if to say "what?".

    Olympia, 1863. Óleo sobre lienzo. 130,5 x 190 cm. Museo de Orsay. París. Francia.
I think I like this artist because it is a transgressor, but without wanting to be. His paintings are beautiful but you can see something of melancholy through them. I think that relates to the history life of Manet, with their wishes and convictions rarely appreciated by his contemporaries. However, influenced the Impressionists and an entire generation of artists

3 comments:

  1. I like Manet... He did it well
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if someone analyze the black woman beside the prostitute?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like write about him, but I never took the class with Zuñiga, so I don't know so much about him. Thank you for share your knowledge with us!

    ReplyDelete